5 reasons why Deepfakes will lead to believable fake news
Jul 23rd, 2019 by DFBlue
- fake news
Our digital landscape is now full of deepfakes. The technological advancements towards improving the quality of deepfakes and making it undetectable is in our near future. This development may lead to discrepancies in the digital space where we may not be able to tell the difference between fake and real news. Here are 5 important reasons why deepfakes will lead to believable fake news:
- The infamous Russian hacking of the 2016 US Presidential Elections show us the power and influence fake news holds.
- Nearly half the readers report that they see fake news stories on their social media at least once a day. That’s a lot of exposure to fake news!
- Fake news and the spread of misinformation has a huge political and social downside to it. Reportedly, earlier this year many porn videos were deepfaked to threaten various political leaders which affected their public standing.
- For Millenials most news comes from Social Media with 60% coming from Facebook alone. In the world of fake news 60% is a very significant figure.
- A twitter news research states that “the truth rarely reached more than 1000 Twitter users, the most pernicious false news stories—like the Mayweather tale—routinely reached well over 10,000 people”
This is only the tip of the iceberg and we need some ethical regulation in our digital space. DeepFakeBlue aims to provide publications, tools and services to further the ethical creation, detection and awareness of deepfakes and digital forgery.
Follow us on Twitter @dfblue or Reddit u/deepfakeblue to keep up with everything that is going on in the world of deepfakes. Think Blue.